Fall: #2

Before I start, I should say thank you to Liron Yankonsky for a Video he posted on YouTube recently. The study he did helped me a lot. I really focused on clean washes, and simple composition as a result of watching that video.

I decided to paint another autumn tree today. This time I wanted to work some perspective into the image. So I decided to paint a windbreaker tree in a recently harvested farm field.

To start, I laid in some initial washes. The sky is Prussian Blue, and a smidge of Raw Umber, just lightly brushed, leaving white to suggest clouds. I could go back over these later to define them, but the painting is about that tree, and I’m working on trying to simplify, so I left the sky as it was.

Toward the horizon I worked in some very light Yellow Ochre. I increased the saturation of the Yellow Ochre below the horizon, and worked in some Quin gold and Ultramarine Blue toward the bottom. I painted these colors loosely, in diagonal lines, which later will became the harvested field.

I thought about including some hay bales, but at this time of year, they tend to be collected, and again, I need to work on simplifying. So I left the hay bales out.

When that was still wet, I used Quin Red and Anthraq Red to paint the base of the trees. I blended Quin Gold and Perinone Orange on the left side, wet-in-wet to suggest directionality to the light. I then used a clean brush to lift color for the tree trunks, and did the same in the field.

Then, it was time for work, so I let it dry. The whole process took about twenty minutes.

Over my lunch break, I added some more definition to the tree and grasses. I don’t know what pigments I used, I was just trying to darken the base of the tree, and suggest texture to the field by adding pigments. The tree was painted almost entirely wet-in-wet, though with small calligraphy lines that I let run into each other. At the base, I painted mostly Anthraq Red, and some Quin Purple lines, being careful to paint negatively around the tree trunks. As I painted these lines upward, I used more Quin Gold, and Perinone Orange.

The field was painted with diagonal lines of Quin Gold at the bottom, which I neutralized with Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, UM Blue, and Moon glow as I moved toward the horizon. While these were wet, I dabbed in a spot of Quin Gold, our Moon Glow here and there, and let that absorb into the wet diagonal line. Then, when these lines dried a bit, I used some neutral tint and Quin Gold, and Raw Umber to paint vertical lines with a dry brush to suggest harvested corn stalks.

Finally, I mixed a neutral on my palette by just adding blue and yellow and red to the colors that were already on the palette until I had a relatively neutral grey. I painted this in horizontal lines too suggest shadows.

And that was it. The whole thing took less than an hour, and I’m actually reasonably happy with it.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.